God, I understand this so well because I wrote that poem as a sort of wake-up call for myself because I was always, always waiting for someone to swoop in and romanticize me the way I’ve seen in movies and books, when the truth is that never really happens, and all it does is trap us in a toxic cycle, and God, if my poem can help other people, then I am so, so glad, and just thank you for telling me this.
1. Let’s be honest for once. I will love you fierce; I will love you terrible. I will carve out your heart, and you will be grateful for the end.
2. You accuse me of faithlessness, but I do believe in the light bursting from our skin, the divinity breaking our bones to pieces.
3. I was not born difficult; my father can attest to that, screaming it until he coughs up blood that his daughter was born without a spine.
4. History repeats itself, we know this much. History sings the same songs, fucks the same girls, drinks the same whiskey night after night in the saddest passion play the world has ever seen.
5. Maybe one day I won’t say your name like a penance, like I thought there was absolution in your veins instead of blood, instead of something so devastatingly human. I’m hunting for angels here, something divine and holy, something that will scrub me clean.
6. My mother says I need to prepare for the real world and maybe she’s right. I hope she’s right. I hope the ice in my chest is imagined, that one day I’ll wake up and this will all have been a dream.
7. We can only go forward; we can only let go. I’m sorry, I’m sorry, I’m sorry.
8. I am trying not to rot in this grave you dug me.
Oh, man I read them when I was in middle school and I was in AWE, like I reread them earlier this year and The Sweet Far Thing wrecks me every single time. And as far as characters go, I really love Gemma and Felicity and Kartik. And Miss Moore, who may be my favorite.
Ah, The Wolves of Mercy Falls trilogy will always hold a special place in my heart because Sam Roth was on of the first fictional guys I ever fell in love with, but I really love The Raven Cycle!
And my personal blog is pretty multi-fandom, but since I saw CATWS, it’s been very heavy on the Marvel content!
Thank you so very much!
i’m just going to make lists because that’s the easiest way to do things:
Authors/Poets: Richard Siken, Edna St. Vincent Millay, Mary Oliver, Jane Austen, Maggie Stiefvater, Kurt Vonnegut, The Brontës, Catherynne M. Valente, Caitlyn Siehl, Margaret Atwood
Books: The Song of Achilles, Deathless, Jane Eyre, Pride & Prejudice, Wuthering Heights, The Secret History, The Handmaid’s Tale, East of Eden, To Kill a Mockingbird, Persuasion, The Great Gatsby, The Gemma Doyle Trilogy, The Wolves of Mercy Falls, The Book Thief
Movies: Across the Universe, Snowpiercer, Dead Poets Society, Captain America: The First Avenger/The Winter Soldier, the 2005 Pride and Prejudice, Pacific Rim, Clue, Kill Your Darlings, Casablanca, Tangled, Hercules, Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, The Princess Bride
Oh, and I’m 18!
i typically use themes from this maker. I think this one is called Frontier, but they have a lot of really simple, clean ones.
Today marks the one year anniversary of my starting this blog, so I really just want to thank you all for all the kind words and support that you give. It means the absolute world to me!